- 1 large onion sliced
- 4 cloves of garlic chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 small carrots chopped
- 1 green pepper deseeded and diced
- 1 red pepper deseeded and diced
- 700g of shin beef
- 130g of button mushrooms, roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoon of tomato puree, 1 tin of chopped tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon of paprika
- 2 tablespoons of sorghum flour
- 1 tablespoon of marigold Swiss bouillon. (or gluten free stock cube)
- 80ml of white wine
- Handful of flat parsley chopped
1. Heat oven to 160c
2. Heat half olive oil in a heavy saucepan. Sprinkle the beef with the sorghum flour and paprika (Tip: I put the beef, flour and paprika into a freezer bag seal it and shake to coat the beef) and brown well. Remove from the saucepan and set aside.
3. Add in the remaining oil to the saucepan, then add the sliced onion, carrots, chopped garlic cloves, both peppers and mushrooms. Fry for 10 minutes, stirring continuously.
4. Put the beef back into the pan with 2 tbsp tomato purée and the Swiss bouillon, Cook, stirring, for 2 mins.
5. Add in the tin of tomatoes, 75ml dry white wine and 400ml of water. Cover with the lid and bake in the oven for 1 and a half to 2 hours
Sprinkle chopped flat parsley, season well with salt and freshly ground pepper.
Top with a tablespoon of fromage frais (optional)
Share With Friends
All recipes are created by Frances Buckley MSc.
Licenced food safety trainer. MSc in Applied Culinary Nutrition.
Currently Technical Food Advisor at Coeliac Society of Ireland.