Christmassey ginger and spice cake
You will need 1 x 2LB loaf tin (or 2x1LB) or a 23cm springform tin
- 8oz/200g of Dunnes butter melted and cooled
- 8oz/ 200g granulated sugar
- 8oz/200g brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons of treacle (or golden syrup if you prefer a lighter coloured cake)
- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1.5 LB/680g of all-purpose gluten free flour
- 1 teaspoon gluten-free baking powder
- ½ teaspoon Dunnes bread soda
- ¾ teaspoon xanthan gum
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon allspice
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 8 fluid ounces/250ml of buttermilk. if you don’t have buttermilk, you can add 1 tablespoon of lemon juice to regular milk and leave it for 5 minutes to sour.
1. Prepare the baking tins by brushing with vegetable oil or use a loaf tin liner
2. Sieve all the dry ingredients into a large mixing bowl.
3. In another bowl beat the eggs add the cooled butter, the syrup or treacle, vanilla then add the buttermilk.
4. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix with a whisk to ensure there are no lumps.
5. Put the mixture into the prepared cooking tin/s and bake at 160◦c for 35 minutes
6. Allow to cool on a wire rack for 10 mins then loose the sides with a table knife and turn it upside down onto the cooking rack. After 10 mins it will be ready to take out of the tin.
Share With Friends
All recipes are created by Frances Buckley MSc.
Licenced food safety trainer. MSc in Applied Culinary Nutrition.
Currently Technical Food Advisor at Coeliac Society of Ireland.