Fresh Egg Custard
There is nothing more delicious than a homemade egg custard, this recipe is so worth making.
- 4 large egg yolks
- 1 tbsp cornflour
- 40z/100g golden caster sugar
- Half teaspoon of vanilla bean pastes or extract
- ½ pint/ 250ml whole milk
- ½ pint/ 250ml cream
- Put the egg yolks and cornflour in a large heatproof mixing bowl and whisk in the sugar.
- In a medium-sized saucepan heat the milk and cream over a low heat until it is just simmering. Pour the hot mixture over the egg yolks and cornflour and whisk continuously.
- Pour the custard back into a clean saucepan and cook on a low heat, while stirring with a wooden spoon until it has the consistency of double cream. Strain the custard through a sieve into a large jug and set aside.
- Cover it with cling film, pushing the cling film onto the top of the custard, this prevents a skin from forming on the top of the custard.
Share With Friends
All recipes are created by Frances Buckley MSc.
Licenced food safety trainer. MSc in Applied Culinary Nutrition.
Currently Technical Food Advisor at Coeliac Society of Ireland.