Gluten Free Viennese Whirls
Day 11 – Eleven Pipers Piping
- 200g soft butter
- 65g icing sugar
- 60g cornflour
- 175g gluten free plain flour
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon xanthan gum
Ingredients for filling
- 100g butter
- 180g icing sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (or any flavour you choose)
- 10 teaspoons of strawberry jam
- Using an electric mixer, beat the butter and icing sugar to a large mixing bowl until pale and fluffy. Add the vanilla extract and bet it in for a minute.
- Sift the flour, xanthan gum, cornflour and gluten free baking powder and fold them into the butter and sugar using a metal spoon. Spoon the mixture into a piping bag with a large star nozzle.
- Onto the lined baking sheet, pipe 10 x 5cm in diameter circles, leave space between them to allow to spread. Tip: pipe from the centre outwards.
- Bake for 8 minutes until golden. Take out of the oven and cool completely.
- For the filling: using an electric mixer beat the butter, icing sugar and vanilla extract until smooth. Spoon into a piping bag with plain nozzle (or use a teaspoon of filling for each one.
- Take one biscuit and turn upside down. Spread 1 tsp of jam onto the biscuit, the buttercream in a swirl. Place the second biscuit on top (swirl-side-up) and very gently press gently to create a sandwich. Do this until all the biscuits are used up.
- If not using the biscuits straight away, make the biscuits and store in an airtight container, then fill them just before serving.
Share With Friends
All recipes are created by Frances Buckley MSc.
Licenced food safety trainer. MSc in Applied Culinary Nutrition.
Currently Technical Food Advisor at Coeliac Society of Ireland.