Mushroom and thyme soup
- 50g dried wild mushrooms
- 50g Dunnes butter
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove
- 800g chestnut mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons of gluten free flour
- 1.5 litre of fresh chicken stock or stock made from gluten-free stock cubes or powder
- 400ml Dunnes smooth crème fraiche
- 3 tablespoons of chopped fresh thyme
1. Boil the kettle, then pour the water over the dried mushrooms just enough to cover them.
2. Heat the butter in a saucepan, then gently sizzle the onion and garlic for 5 mins until softened and starting to brown.
3. Drain the mushrooms, keep the liquid, then add to the onion with the chestnut mushrooms. Sprinkle on the flour and cook for 5 mins more.
4. Pour over the stock and the juice from the dried mushrooms, bring to the boil, then simmer for 15 mins.
5. Stir in crème fraiche, then simmer for a few mins more.
6. Blend the soup with a hand blender or liquidiser, stir in the chopped tarragon
Share With Friends
All recipes are created by Frances Buckley MSc.
Licenced food safety trainer. MSc in Applied Culinary Nutrition.
Currently Technical Food Advisor at Coeliac Society of Ireland.