Oeuf a La Neige
Ingredients for the fresh custard
- 600ml of full fat milk.
- 1 vanilla pod, split down the centre.
- 6 large egg yolks.
Ingredients for the meringues
- 100g of caster sugar
- 6 egg whites
- 1 pinch of salt
- 60g of caster sugar
1. To make the fresh egg custard, bring the milk to the boil with the vanilla pod. Meanwhile, whisk the egg yolks and sugar in a bowl until they are a pale colour.
2. Gradually pour the boiling milk over the egg mixture, whisking continuously. Pour the custard mixture into a clean saucepan over a low heat and cook gently, stirring with a wooden spoon until it coats the back of the spoon.
3. Pass the custard through a sieve into a bowl and leave until almost cold, stir it from time to time to prevent a skin forming
To make the meringues:
4. Fill a medium saucepan with water and bring to the boil, then reduce to a simmer.
5. Beat the egg whites with a pinch of salt until stiff, gently fold in the sugar with a metal spoon.
6. Using a large metal spoon, scoop the egg white into four and place them in the saucepan of simmering water. Poach for 2 minutes on both sides. Gently lift out the meringues with a spoon which has holes in it and place on a non-stick tray
Serve floating in the cold egg custard sprinkled with toasted almonds
Share With Friends
All recipes are created by Frances Buckley MSc.
Licenced food safety trainer. MSc in Applied Culinary Nutrition.
Currently Technical Food Advisor at Coeliac Society of Ireland.