Preparing Leg of Lamb for Roasting
- Before cooking take the lamb out of refrigerator an hour beforehand to come up to room temperature.
- Preheat your oven to 170°c, longer cooking time at a lower temperature gives a juicier result.
- Cut ½-inch-wide slits about 1-inch deep into the leg of lamb. Into the holes press some cloves of peeled garlic and some sprigs of fresh thyme or rosemary. Sprinkle salt and pepper over meat.
- Place meat on a roasting tray. Roast the leg of lamb for guided time according to weight . for medium to well done: Allow 20 minutes per pound/ 554g and allow an extra 20 minutes.
- For medium lamb reduce the time to 16 minutes per pound/554g and 16 minutes over.
- When cooked remove leg of lamb from the oven, cover it loosely with foil, let it rest for at least 20 minutes before carving.
Share With Friends
All recipes are created by Frances Buckley MSc.
Licenced food safety trainer. MSc in Applied Culinary Nutrition.
Currently Technical Food Advisor at Coeliac Society of Ireland.