Roasted Butternut Squash and Butterbean Soup
Boost levels of dietary fibre, magnesium, and vitamin B6 with the butterbeans and vitamins A & C with the squash
- 800g butternut squash, peeled and chopped into 1½ inch chunks
- 200g tin of drained butterbeans
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tbsp. butter
- 1 onion finely, diced
- 3 cloves of chopped garlic
- 2-inch piece of fresh ginger, chopped
- 1 litre chicken or vegetable stock
- 400g tin coconut milk
- 1tsp salt
- 1/2tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp sweet paprika
- 2 tablespoons of chopped fresh coriander
- 2 slices of wholemeal gluten free bread (NOT included in nutritional analysis)
- Toss the butternut squash cubes in 1 tablespoon of olive oil, with the spices and seasoning. Roast these on a non- stick tray for 20 minutes in a hot oven (180°c).
- Heat the remaining oil and butter in a large saucepan over a medium heat.
- Cook the onions down without browning, then add the garlic and ginger. Cook for 1 minute.
- Now add the roasted butternut squash and the butterbeans. Cook this while stirring for a further 5 minutes. Add the stock and cover the saucepan with a lid. Simmer until the butternut squash is completely soft (10 minutes).
- Add the coconut milk and simmer for five minutes.
- Blend with a hand blender.
- To serve, sprinkle with fresh chopped coriander.
Share With Friends
All recipes are created by Frances Buckley MSc.
Licenced food safety trainer. MSc in Applied Culinary Nutrition.
Currently Technical Food Advisor at Coeliac Society of Ireland.