Roasted Butternut Squash and Butterbean Soup
- 800g butternut squash, peeled and chopped into 1½ inch chunks
- 200g tin of drained butterbeans
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tbsp. butter
- 1 onion finely, diced
- 3 cloves of chopped garlic
- 2-inch piece of fresh ginger, chopped
- 1 litre chicken or vegetable stock
- 400g tin coconut milk
- 1tsp salt
- 1/2tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp sweet paprika
- 2 tablespoons of chopped fresh coriander
- 2 slices of wholemeal gluten free bread (NOT included in nutritional analysis)
- Toss the butternut squash cubes in 1 tablespoon of olive oil, with the spices and seasoning. Roast these on a non- stick tray for 20 minutes in a hot oven (180°c).
- Heat the remaining oil and butter in a large saucepan over a medium heat.
- Cook the onions down without browning, then add the garlic and ginger. Cook for 1 minute.
- Now add the roasted butternut squash and the butterbeans. Cook this while stirring for a further 5 minutes. Add the stock and cover the saucepan with a lid. Simmer until the butternut squash is completely soft (10 minutes).
- Add the coconut milk and simmer for five minutes.
- Blend with a hand blender.
- To serve, sprinkle with fresh chopped coriander.
Share With Friends
All recipes developed by the Coeliac Society are nutritionally checked by our in-house team of dietitians and chefs. Please note all nutritional information is per 1 serving. Please refer to recipe overview for number of servings in recipes.