Vegan mushroom hotpot recipe
- 40g dried wild mushrooms
- 200ml vegetable stock, made from 1 gluten free stock cube
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 200g shallots, peeled and quartered
- 160g large flat mushrooms, sliced
- 200g baby carrots, scraped and halved lengthways
- 350g white turnip peeled and cut into small cubes
- 3 tbsp cornflour
- 100ml red wine
- 250g pack cooked Puy lentils
- 15g thyme, chopped, plus extra sprigs to garnish
- 2 tbsp redcurrant jelly
- 600g maris piper potatoes, scrubbed clean
1. Preheat the oven to gas 5, 190°C, fan 170°C. Put the dried mushrooms in a heatproof jug, cover with 300ml boiling water and set aside for 20 mins. Drain, reserving the liquid.
2. Heat 2 tbsp oil in a large saucepan. Add the shallots, flat mushrooms, carrots, white turnip and 4 tbsp water. Cook for 10 mins until the shallots have softened. Add the wine and allow to cook for 1 minute. Mix the cornflour with a tablespoon of cold water then stir it into the vegetables and cook for 1 minute. Gradually add the stock, reserved wild mushroom liquid. Cook, stirring continuously, for 3-4 mins until the mixture has thickened. Stir in the lentils, wild mushrooms, chopped thyme and redcurrant jelly. Season well, then transfer to a large oven-proof dish or casserole pot.
3. Finely slice the potatoes into rounds. Arrange the potatoes in rings on top of the hotpot, overlapping slightly, season lightly and brush with the remaining oil. Cover with foil and bake for 50 mins until the potatoes are just tender.
4. Increase the oven temperature to gas 7, 220°C, fan assisted 200°C. Remove the foil and bake for a further 30 mins until the potatoes are cooked and golden brown. Scatter with thyme to garnish.
Share With Friends
All recipes developed by the Coeliac Society are nutritionally checked by our in-house team of dietitians and chefs. Please note all nutritional information is per 1 serving. Please refer to recipe overview for number of servings in recipes.