Vegetable, Chicken and Lentil Soup
- 120g raw chicken breast diced
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion roughly chopped
- 3 carrots, peeled and roughly chopped
- 2 celery stalks washed and chopped
- 1 large leek washed and chopped
- ¼ teaspoon of dried mixed herbs
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp coarse ground black pepper
- 500ml of vegetable or chicken stock
- 130g of red lentils
- 2 tablespoons of chopped fresh parsley
- 2 slices of wholemeal gluten free bread (not in Nutrition analysis)
- In a medium saucepan heat the olive oil on a medium heat. Cook the onions, carrots, and celery without browning them.
- Add the dried mixed herbs, then add the diced chicken, and leeks. Cook while stirring for 10 minutes, add in the tomato paste and lentils.
- Now add the stock and simmer for a further 15 minutes on a low heat. Add salt and pepper and taste for seasoning.
- When fully cooked liquidise the soup with a hand blender and to serve, sprinkle with fresh chopped parsley
Serve with 2 slices of wholemeal bread. To make a spicier version of this soup you can also add ¼ teaspoon of paprika, and a pinch of cumin and curry powder during the cooking and to finish use chopped fresh coriander instead of parsley.
Share With Friends
All recipes developed by the Coeliac Society are nutritionally checked by our in-house team of dietitians and chefs. Please note all nutritional information is per 1 serving. Please refer to recipe overview for number of servings in recipes.