Have this vegetarian strudel made and in freezer, it can be cooked at Christmas and used as a starter or a main course. Makes 6 portions.
- 1 pack of ready rolled gluten free puff pastry
- 4 medium cooked beetroots
- 1 large sweet potato
- 2 small parsnips
- 1 large carrot
- 1 tablespoon of pinenuts
- 1 tablespoon of dried cranberries
- 2 red onions
- Sprig of thyme and rosemary
- Salt and pepper
- Olive oil and balsamic vinegar
- Peel and roughly chop the sweet potato, parsnip, carrot, and onion, toss in a spoon of olive oil and seasoning, cook on a griddle pan or roast in the oven until softened.
- When almost cooked, add the beetroot cut into chunks, sprinkle on the balsamic and cook for 10 more minutes.
- Chop the herbs and add to the vegetables, add the pinenuts and cranberries.
- Allow to cool thoroughly.
- Open out the pre-rolled pastry and brush it with egg around the edges. Position a line of the cold vegetable mix down the centre of the pastry, fold over and seal around the edges.
- Place on a tray and chill for 20mins, cover with cling film and freeze
- This will keep in freezer for 3 months, defrost before cooking.
- Brush with beaten egg, Cook at 190◦c for 35 minutes
Share With Friends
All recipes are created by Frances Buckley MSc.
Licenced food safety trainer. MSc in Applied Culinary Nutrition.
Currently Technical Food Advisor at Coeliac Society of Ireland.