Pancake Tuesday is not just about sweet and sticky toppings. Try pancakes for your lunch or dinner filled with a delicious chicken and spinach or chicken a broccoli combination. Smoked salmon also works well.
Simple Traditional Style Pancake Batter
- 250g gluten free flour or gluten free white bread mix
- Pinch of Salt,
- 1 Large Egg,
- 400ml Milk
- Butter for frying
- Combine all dry ingredients in bowl.
- Then add egg and milk and beat until batter is smooth with no lumps.
- Let the batter stand for 10 minutes.
- Heat a little butter on the pan and use a soup ladle to drop the batter onto the pan.
- When mixture is puffed and bubbling on top, turn and cook on other side.
Make this basic white sauce and simply add cooked chicken and baby spinach leaves, teaspoon of chopped fresh tarragon and some grated cheese. Allow to cool and spoon into pancakes and roll like a wrap place in an oven proof dish and sprinkle with grated cheese, bake at 180°c for 20 minutes. Or how about hot smoked salmon in a mushroom sauce.
Simply cook sliced mushrooms in a small amount of butter, add the smoke salmon and ½ teaspoon of fresh chopped dill and combine with the white sauce.
Allow to cool and spoon into pancakes and roll like a wrap place in an oven proof dish and sprinkle with grated cheese, bake at 180°c for 15 minutes.
- 30 g of gluten free plain flour
- 30g of butter
- 1 tablespoon of sunflower oil
- 300ml of milk, seasoned with pinch of nutmeg and ¼ tsp salt
- Warm the milk and seasoning in a plastic jug in the microwave
- In a saucepan melt the butter with the oil, whisk in the flour and cook for 1 minute.
- Pour on the warm milk while whisking, as the sauce boils it will thicken, cook for 30 seconds and remove from heat
This quantity will make a medium thick sauce ,so if you need a thicker or thinner adjust the milk.