Baked Apple or Plums with Cream Cheese and Homemade Nutty Granola
The fruit can be baked in advance and served re-heated or served cold. This is a great breakfast to add fibre and get started on your 5-a-day. Honey adds some delicious sweetness but you can leave it out if you prefer. The homemade nutty granola can be made in batches and can be used in many recipes/breakfasts.
- 4 medium eating apples, cores removed (Golden Delicious, Granny Smith or Pink Lady)
- or 8 firm plums halved (stones removed)
- 1 tablespoon of honey or agave syrup
- 2 tablespoons of extra light cream cheese
- ¼ teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- 68g of homemade nutty granola
- 300g gluten free oats.
- 100g sunflower seeds.
- 100g pumpkin seeds.
- 40g chopped pecan nuts
- 125 ml apple juice.
- 4 teaspoons sunflower oil.
- For the granola, Preheat oven to 160°c. Mix the dry ingredients for the granola with the oil and apple juice. Spread this out on baking parchment on a baking sheet. Bake for 30 minutes until dry and crunchy (this time may vary depending on the dryness of the oats). Allow to cool totally before pouring into a Kilner jar or airtight container.
- In a small bowl mix the honey or syrup with the cinnamon, sugar, and cream cheese.
- Sandwich the plum halves together with the cream cheese mix. For the apples fill the cavity where the core was removed. Place in an ovenproof dish and bake for 30 minutes or for the apples/20 minutes for plums.
- Serve the apple/plum sandwich with a portion of granola and enjoy.
- This granola recipe makes 10 portions of nutty granola. Use one portion (68g) for this dish
Share With Friends
All recipes developed by the Coeliac Society are nutritionally checked by our in-house team of dietitians and chefs. Please note all nutritional information is per 1 serving. Please refer to recipe overview for number of servings in recipes.