Fiery sticky apples
- 8 red apples
- 4 tbsp golden syrup
- 400g caster sugar
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 100ml of water
- Couple of drops red food colouring
- 8 lolly pop sticks
- Sheet of baking parchment
- Take the stalks from the apples, then put the apples in a heatproof bowl. Pour over boiling water from the kettle to cover them and leave for 3-4 mins. Using a spoon with holes remove from the water on to kitchen paper and pat dry.
- Push the end of each lolly pop stick into the stalk-end of each apple, making sure it’s firmly in .
- Put a large piece of baking parchment on non- stick tray
- Put the sugar into a saucepan, add the lemon juice and 100ml water. Bring to a simmer and cook until the sugar has dissolved. Swirl the pan gently to move the sugar around, don’t stir with a spoon. Add the golden syrup and simmer the mixture, don’t let it boil. Cook until it reaches ‘ 150C if you have as sugar thermometer. If you don’t, test the syrup by dropping a small amount into cold water, where it should harden straight away. Cook for a few mins more if it does not harden. When ready add in a couple of drops of food colouring, swirl to combine. Again, do not stir with spoon. Turn off the heat.
- Straight away, dip each apple into the toffee, tipping the saucepan to cover it fully. Lift out and allow the excess to drip back into the pan then place on the baking parchment. If the syrup gets too hard, gently heat it again, leave to set.
- It is best to do these on the day they will be eaten.
Share With Friends
All recipes are created by Frances Buckley MSc.
Licenced food safety trainer. MSc in Applied Culinary Nutrition.
Currently Technical Food Advisor at Coeliac Society of Ireland.