French Provencal Style Beef Serve with Chive Baby Potatoes
Marinade for beef
- 700g diced shin beef or stewing steak (trimmed of excess fat)
- ¼ tsp salt and cracked black pepper
- 2 large onions, finely sliced
- 4 carrots, peeled and roughly chopped
- 2 sticks celery, cut into 1cm slices
- 6 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 500ml red wine
- 50ml/ red wine vinegar
- 3 bay leaves
- 2 large sprigs thyme
- 2 pieces of orange rind
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 4 tbsp. olive oil
- 150g chopped bacon(lardons)
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp. tomato purée
- 600ml beef stock (can be made from gluten free stock cubes)
- 150g pitted black olives(optional)
- 600g of baby potatoes
- Handful of fresh chives chopped
- In a large container, which will fit in the fridge, put the diced beef with all the ingredients for the marinade. Cover and leave in the fridge for a minimum of 6 hours but preferably overnight.
- When you are ready to cook the casserole, drain the meat well. Keep the liquid and the marinade ingredients.
- Heat the olive oil in a large non-stick frying pan and brown the beef, bacon, onions and the vegetables from the marinade (omitting the cinnamon and orange rind) in batches.
- Transfer this into an ovenproof casserole dish. Add the marinade liquid to the pan to scrape up the sticky bits in the pan. Boil for 5 minutes and add this to the casserole
- Stir in the tomato purée. Add the beef stock now.
- Put the lid on your casserole dish and put it in the oven for 3 hours at 150°c.
- Take out and add olives and put back in the oven uncovered for 30 minutes.
- Boil the baby potatoes in hot salted water for 15 minutes approx. until soft, drain and toss in chopped chives
Share With Friends
All recipes developed by the Coeliac Society are nutritionally checked by our in-house team of dietitians and chefs. Please note all nutritional information is per 1 serving. Please refer to recipe overview for number of servings in recipes.