- 3 tbsp. of rapeseed oil
- 800g of large flat mushrooms (Portobello mushrooms)
- 1 tbsp. of nutritional yeast (optional, I use marigold)
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 sticks of celery washed and chopped
- 1 leek washed and chopped
- 4 cloves Garlic roughly chopped
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme or tarragon (if using dried herbs add ¼ tsp, add it when cooking the onions)
- 4 tbsp. of gluten free plain flour
- 1 litre of vegetable or chicken stock (fresh or made from gluten free stock cubes)
- 200ml of milk
- Wash and chop the mushrooms.
- In a large saucepan heat the rapeseed oil, add the diced onion, leeks and celery cook for 7 minutes until the vegetables have softened.
- Add the mushrooms and garlic and cook for a further 8 minutes, stir continuously
- Add the nutritional yeast and stock, bring to the boil, add the milk and simmer for 10 minutes (do not boil).
- To finish add in the leaves from the thyme or the tarragon, blend the soup with a hand blender.
- This can be served with a slice of your favourite gluten free high fibre bread.
Share With Friends
All recipes are created by Frances Buckley MSc.
Licenced food safety trainer. MSc in Applied Culinary Nutrition.
Currently Technical Food Advisor at Coeliac Society of Ireland.