Pesto made with Edamame Beans, Mint and Basil
This is a quick nutritious version of a pesto for use with gluten free pasta, it is also delicious with avocado on gluten free toasted sourdough. The whole almonds add fibre, vitamin E and heart healthy monounsaturated fat. Basil provides the above mentioned nutrients and edamame beans contain more fibre and protein.
- 8oz/200g defrosted edamame beans
- 50g of whole almonds
- 50g of fresh basil leaves
- 20g of fresh mint leaves
- 1/2tablespoon of lemon juice
- 3 cloves of garlic peeled
- 8ml of extra virgin olive oil
- 4oz/100g of grated parmesan
- Cracked black pepper to taste
- Heat a dry frying pan on a medium heat ,when hot add the almonds and keep moving them round the surface of the pan until lightly browned ,transfer onto a clean plate and allow to cool completely.
- Put the cold almonds into a food processor and roughly chop them, take out of processor and set
- Blend the beans in the processor until a rough paste consistency ,add the basil, garlic, mint and lemon, while the processor is running slowly add the olive oil.
- Add back in the almonds with the parmesan and blend for 20 seconds, add cracked black pepper to taste
- Keep in a jar or container with a tight fitting lid in the fridge for 3
Share With Friends
All recipes are created by Frances Buckley MSc.
Licenced food safety trainer. MSc in Applied Culinary Nutrition.
Currently Technical Food Advisor at Coeliac Society of Ireland.