Smoked Mackerel Pate with Seeded Gluten Free Oatcakes
- 150g of gluten free oats
2 tablespoons of each of the following
- Pumpkin seeds
- Sunflower seeds
- Sesame seeds
- Chia seeds
- Flax seeds
- ¼ tsp of gluten free baking powder
- 230ml of hot water
- Pinch of salt
- 280g smoked mackerel fillets with black pepper (skin removed)
- 200g of cream cheese
- 1 tbsp. of crème fraiche
- Juice of half a lemon
- 1 tsp of chopped fresh dill
For each serving:
2 ripe vine cherry tomatoes
1/4 head of little gem lettuce
- Roughly pulse the oats in blender and mix with the other dry ingredients (keep 2 tablespoons of the seeds for sprinkling).
- Add the hot water to form a dough. Form into walnut sized balls. Press each one onto baking parchment or onto a silicon mat and press down until 5-10mm thick. sprinkle with remaining seeds.
- Bake at 160°c for 30 minutes until they start to brown.
- Leave to cool for 10 minutes.
These will store for a week in an airtight container
- Blend all the ingredients together to form a smooth paste (it may appear slightly moist).
- Scrape out the pate into a dish. Cover with cling film and refrigerate for a minimum of one hour, it will firm up in this time.
This will keep in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Serve the oat cakes topped with shredded lettuce, then the pate and halved cherry tomatoes.
Share With Friends
All recipes are created by Frances Buckley MSc.
Licenced food safety trainer. MSc in Applied Culinary Nutrition.
Currently Technical Food Advisor at Coeliac Society of Ireland.