Spicy Pork, Vegetable Lettuce Wraps with Crunchy Rice Noodles
This is a great recipe for adding lots of vegetables into your dinner. Pork is a great source of protein and zinc and mushrooms are a great source of B vitamins.
For the filling
- 1 tbsp. Olive Oil
- 1 Onion diced
- 3 cloves Garlic, finely chopped
- 1-inch piece of fresh ginger chopped finely
- 2 Small Carrots peeled and grated/ diced small
- 250 g sliced Mushrooms
- 2 sticks of celery diced
- 2 red or orange peppers diced
- 1 tin of sliced water chestnuts
- 700g lean pork mince (works great with turkey mince too)
- 3 tsp Chinese Five Spice
- 2 tbsp. gluten free dark soy sauce
- 50g of rice noodles
For the sauce
- 2 tbsp. gluten free mango chutney
- 2 tsp honey
- 2 tbsp. gluten free sesame oil
- 2 tbsp. cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp. of cornflour
- 2 tbsp. gluten free light Soy Sauce
- To Serve
- 50g of fried rice noodles (optional)
- 3 spring onions, chopped
- 2 red chillies (add depending on your preference for heat)
- 2 large head of iceberg lettuce
- Make sure you have all the vegetables cut and the sauce mixed before you start cooking.
- Peel the onion and garlic and chop them into small pieces. Peel the carrot and chop it into small pieces together with the celery and water chestnuts. This can be chopped roughly in a food processor if you wish.
- Cut the iceberg in half through the centre of the stalk, separate, keep leaves whole (bowl shaped) and wash the leaves and dry thoroughly with clean kitchen towel.
- Chop the red chillies and spring onions and set aside.
- In a bowl mix the soy sauce, mango chutney, cider vinegar, honey, cornflour, and sesame oil( if it is too thick, add a small amount of water to loosen)
- Add the olive oil to a wok or large non- stick pan and warm over a medium heat. Add the onions, five spice and garlic for 5 minutes then add the mince.
- Keep stirring until the mince is cooked (approx. 15 minutes). Add the dark soy sauce. Using a spoon with holes remove this from the pan and put to one side on a plate.
- Add a splash of olive oil and fry the celery/carrot/ peppers /mushrooms and water chestnut mixture to the pan and cook for a few minutes until warmed through.
- Add the sauce mixture into the wok/ pan stir through the ingredients then add the pork back in. Cook everything together until the mix is dry and the pork is browned and is cooked fully 10 minutes more.
- If using the rice noodles fry them in a separate pan in batches in hot oil for 1 minute (they cook very quickly) drain on kitchen towel. Fill the mince mixture into the lettuce leaves with noodles and fold over the leaves like a wrap.
Share With Friends
All recipes are created by Frances Buckley MSc.
Licenced food safety trainer. MSc in Applied Culinary Nutrition.
Currently Technical Food Advisor at Coeliac Society of Ireland.