Thai Style Vegetable Curry with Rice
Homemade Curry paste
- To make homemade red curry paste combine all ingredients below in a blender
- (this makes enough for 4 x 4 portion curries)
- 1 shallot peeled and chopped
- 1 stalk fresh lemongrass
- 1 to 2 red chilies or (1/2 to 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper)
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1-inch piece galangal or ginger peeled and sliced
- 2 tbsp. gluten free tomato ketchup
- 2 tbsp. of gluten free soy sauce
- 2 tbsp. lime juice (freshly squeezed)
- 3 tbsp. reduced fat coconut milk
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 3/4 tsp. ground coriander
- 1/4 tsp. ground white pepper
- Alternatively use 2 tablespoons of gluten free red curry paste
Nutrition information of homemade curry paste (per serving)
|Total Fat (g)
For the main dish
- 2 tbsp. of curry paste
- 200g of long grain or jasmine rice
- 1 tbsp. coconut oil
- 1 large onion, peeled and sliced
- 1 large, sweet potato peeled and diced small
- 1 tbsp. finely grated fresh ginger
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 red and 1 yellow pepper, seeds removed and sliced
- 3 carrots, peeled, slice diagonally
- 1 tin (400ml) reduced fat coconut milk plus a ½ cup of water
- 100g of kale with stalks removed
- 100g of mange tout or sugar snap peas (washed)
- 1 ½ tsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp. gluten free soy sauce soy sauce
- 2 tsp fresh lime juice
- 20g of chopped fresh coriander
*Cooked chicken or salmon could be added if you would like to make meat to this meal.
- To cook the rice, bring a large pot of water to boil and add the rinsed rice. Continue boiling for 20 minutes. Remove from heat, drain the rice. Cover and let the rice rest for 10 minutes. Just before serving, fluff it with a fork.
- In a wok or deep non- stick pan, heat the oil and add the onion and cook until soft (5 minutes). Add the ginger and garlic, keep stirring.
- Add the sweet potato and carrots. Cook until they s are softenedstirring occasionally. Then add the peppers and curry paste and cook, stirring for 2 minutes.
- Shred the kale.
- Add the coconut milk, water, kale and sugar. Bring the mixture to a simmer over medium heat.
- Reduce heat to allow to simmer for 7 minutes. Add the mange tout or sugar snap peas.
- Remove from the heat and season with gluten free soy sauce and lime juice.
- Divide rice and curry into 4 bowls sprinkle with chopped coriander.
Share With Friends
All recipes are created by Frances Buckley MSc.
Licenced food safety trainer. MSc in Applied Culinary Nutrition.
Currently Technical Food Advisor at Coeliac Society of Ireland.