Reply To: Coeliac Disease and Children

Audrey Farrell
Participant

Hi Hilary,
I’M a bit late replying to this. We have an 11 year old boy with coeliac disease. He was diagnosed in 2019 and was asymptomatic. Your post is exactly how we feel. Managing GF is fine at home but going out is a different story altogether. We have a few restaurants we frequent (based in louth) and have gotten to know the staff well!It is however really hard to pop into somewhere new or on the spur of the moment.We sometimes bring GF bread to the restaurant and get them to put garlic on it. I’m afraid I can’t really help you, unless you are travelling to Louth.
I’m not sure if you can help me? My child had no symptoms to begin with and has had a very easy adjustment to GF eating, until recently. For the last four months he has been sick on and off but only in the mornings. As a result, he has missed numerous days off school.By 11 o clock in the morning the pains/cramps have passed. I went to the doctor and he prescribed Buscopan tablets for him but these haven’t really helped.I am concerned about the amount of school he is missing.Thanks